Out with the old: The Campus Voice reviews 2014

As we march on into 2015, The Campus Voice looks back at the events that made 2014 a year filled with moments that we won’t forget.

• Two mysterious Malaysia Airlines disasters, one in March over the Indian Ocean and one in July near the Russia-Ukraine border, left the world searching for answers.
  • Several incidents around the United States, including the trial of the Michael Dunn case in Jacksonville, prompted debate about issues ranging from racial relations to gun laws to police-community relations.
  • An Ebola virus outbreak in the West African nations of Guinea, Liberia, and Sierra Leone killed thousands and prompted international alarm.
  • Russia annexed the Ukrainian region of Crimea, igniting fighting in Ukraine and stirring tensions across Europe.
  • In politics, Rick Scott won re-election to his second term as Governor of Florida.
  • New gadgets like Apple’s new iPhone 6 Plus kept tech followers excited all through the year.
  • Good news for students’ bank accounts: Gas prices plunged in the second half of 2014, ending up just above $2.00 per gallon by the end of the year.
  • Jacksonville soccer fans watched with billions around the world as the World Cup brought super skills and intense competition to Brazil during June and July.
  • Even Floridians got into the Winter Olympics’ snowy spirit, tuning-in to the planet’s stars of ice and snow sports at the quadrennial event in Sochi, Russia.
  • One Spark, the world’s largest crowdfunding festival, ignited Jacksonville and brought giant crowds downtown for five days of excitement. Next stop: Berlin, Germany.
  • Just where is Fort Caroline? We still don’t know for sure, but teams of researchers suggested alternative locations in southeastern Georgia and near Mayport.
  • Two major Navy ships, the USS Iwo Jima and USS Fort McHenry, now call Mayport their home in a big boost for the economy at the Beaches.
  • The Jacksonville Jaguars installed pools and the world’s largest outdoor video scoreboards–362 feet long–at EverBank Field, but the new equipment only gave fans a clearer view of the lowlights of a 3-13 season.
  • FSCJ president Cynthia Bioteau finished her first year as the head of the college.
  • FSCJ launched three new bachelor’s degree programs in financial services, human services and logistics.
  • And, last but certainly not least, The Campus Voice was relaunched in a new format and is now the official online student newspaper of FSCJ!

Comment on this story

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w

Connecting to %s