Editorial – Bern Down For What? Not Hillary.

imgresWhen my editor came to me last week, and asked me why I supported Bernie Sanders, my knee-jerk response was:

“Because he is the only candidate who isn’t a parasite to the American people.”

And while yes, this may be true, Senator Sanders’ lack of parasitical tendencies isn’t the only reason you should feel the Bern and vote for him in the Florida primary on March 15th.

There is a fundamental problem in this country, it leaves the top 1% of Americans being set for life, never having to worry about dollars and cents, and the other 99% in a deep hole of inequality that is nearly impossible to crawl out of. Candidates like Hillary Clinton, who according to her 2014 tax return are not only in the top 1% of Americans in measures of wealth, but in the top 0.1%- will never understand the struggle of even thinking about money. As if this wasn’t enough, Clinton has received over $153 million dollars in speaking fees from Goldman Sachs since 2001.

Furthermore, people expect Hillary Clinton to protect the American citizens from the heavy hand of big banks on Wall Street? Yeah, keep thinking that. The harsh reality is that politicians can be bought, it happens every single day in Washington DC, and Hillary herself is the biggest sellout. If you are naïve enough to think after receiving a $153 million legal bribe from Goldman Sachs that she would dare to cross any major financial institution, you need to put down the Kool-Aid Clinton is feeding you and prepare to feel the Bern.

Senator Sanders has not taken a dime from any of the big banks, and relies on small contributions from individuals. In fact, his campaign raised over $40 million dollars just in the month of February. This campaign has unstoppable momentum, and unstoppable promise. Bernie cannot be bought, and he is going to do what’s best for the American people, including subsidizing college education, raising the minimum wage, providing healthcare for all, improving our infrastructure, taking action to reverse climate change, giving mothers paid maternity leave, and bridging the gap between the top 1% and the rest of us.

Now, before you go off thinking that Bernie will be “giving free stuff away” (I’m looking at you, memes from my conservative friends on Facebook.) or is going to impose something crazy like a 60% tax rate, I strongly encourage you to take a look at his plan to pay for all of his proposals. None of these plans will have a negative or severe impact on the poor and middle class, and will generally improve the quality of life for everyone in this country. The reality is, every person deserves a shot.

For the longest time, America has been the land of opportunity and a place to chase even your wildest dreams. With a president like Hillary Clinton, or god forbid, Donald Trump, we will only walk further away from what we used to be. Every person in this country deserves to get a good education without being buried in debt forever, and who can live up to their full potential with $29,000 dollars of debt looming over their head just to be considered employable? Who can live up to their full potential if their child gets sick, and they spend the next five years paying medical bills? It isn’t socialism, it’s humanism, it’s giving every person a shot no matter where they came from, it’s what America is about. If you can’t see that, you need to look harder.

In 1983, 90% of US media was controlled by fifty companies; today, 90% is controlled by just six companies. The consolidation of companies in power is decreasing in every industry, and the more consolidated things become the less of voice we the people have. That’s why we need to join Bernie in the fight against the top 1%. We don’t want our politicians to be bought and further this consolidation even more. This isn’t about socialism, this isn’t about doing what is easy, this isn’t about pleasing your conservative parents who nearly had a stroke when you told them you felt the Bern (Hi, Mom and Dad!), this is about doing what is right for our country and for generations to come. Vote for Bernie on March 15th because its about humanism, not socialism.

Comment on this story

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s